Be Dog Smart!
We want to raise awareness of general dog safety messages and in particular highlight some key messages includin
The best prevention is supervision: never leave your child alone with a dog – any dog.
10 easy tips to remind kids how to stay safe around dogs:
- Beware of disturbing dogs that are eating or sleeping.
- Even if for fun, don’t ever tease a dog please.
- Don’t approach a dog with no owner around.
- Only stroke a dog when the owner says ‘Yes, you can.’
- Get the dog to sniff your hand first, then stroke gently.
- Strange dog approaching? Stand still, look away, cross your arms.
- Move calmly and quietly around any dog.
- All that hugging and kissing – you might like it, not all dogs do.
- Remember all dogs have teeth.
- Treat dogs with kindness and respect
The Dogs Trust have some great videos on how to be Dog Smart when you are out and about and at home.